Quinoa Salad with Kale, Fresh Peaches and Toasted Pecans
This has jumped to the top of my list for favourite salad ever! It’s loaded with fresh veggies, crunchy pecans, bits of cheese, chewy quinoa and juicy peaches. Bring this to a potluck or summer barbecue and I’m pretty sure it will be the star of the show! Last time I made this, Mike and I devoured the whole bowl! Leave out the cheese and this becomes a great vegan option!
- 1 Cup Uncooked Organic Red Quinoa
- 8 Cups Fresh Organic Kale or leafy green of your choice washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 Ripe Peaches Washed and Sliced
- 1 Small Cucumber Chopped
- ½ Red or Vidalia Onion Chopped
- 1 Large Carrot Grated
- 2 Ribs Celery Chopped
- ½ Cup Pecans Roasted and Chopped (Or Any Roasted Nut You Like)
- ½ Cup Your Favourite Cheese crumbled or grated
- ½ Cup Organic Dried Cranberries or Cherries
In a mesh strainer placed in a medium bowl of water, soak quinoa at least 15 minutes to remove bitter coating. Drain and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes or so, just until al dente. I keep an eye on it and when it begins to release those little white squiggly things, (you can see what I mean in the photo above) I give it another 5 minutes then I take it off the heat. You don’t want it mushy. Drain in a mesh colander, cool and place in a big bowl.
Add the fresh kale to the bowl and toss. Add each additional ingredient scattering across the kale or arranging decoratively.
Pour balsamic vinaigrette all over and toss. Serve as a perfect vegetarian meal or as a side for grilled chicken or fish.